Prof. Keyvan Moghissi BSc., M.D.,F.R.C.S.(Ed.), F.R.C.S.(Eng.), F.E.T.C.S.
(GMC Registration 055034) GMC European Specialist Register (Specialty: Thoracic)
Professor Keyvan Moghissi is one of the country's leading Cardiothoracic Surgeons and has written a number of books on the subject and hundreds of papers, articles and presentations.
He has had a distinguished career in the field of cardiothoracic surgery, successfully gaining many qualifications along the way. A brief synopsis of his career is outlined below:-
- 1950:- Bachelier es Science Medical (BSc) from the University of Geneva in Switzerland.
- 1954:- Docteur en Médecine(MD).
- 1954 -1958:- Post Graduate training in surgery in the UK and Switzerland.
- 1958:- University hospital in Geneva as an intern and obtained the degree Médecine Specialist en Chirurgie (MS CHIR).
- 1958 -1961:- Chief Assistant (Senior Registrar) in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Harefield Hospital, London.
- 1961 -1965:- Chief Assistant (Senior Registrar) in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Southhampton Chest Hospital.
- 1965 -1968:- Joint Appointment, Senior research Fellow (Department of Physiology and Biochemistry) Southhampton University and Senior Registrar Southhampton Chest Hospital.
- 1968:- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh FRCS (Ed).
- 1968 -1970:- Chief Assistant (Senior Registrar) in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Harefield Hospital Middlesex and Royal Post Graduate Medical School in London.
- 1970 -1992:- Senior Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Humberside Cardio-Thoracic Surgical Centre, Castle Hill Hospital, Hull, where he established modern Cardiothoracic surgery.
- 1983:- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England FRCS (Eng).
- 1997:- Fellow of the European Board of Cardiothoracic Surgeons FETCS.
- 1997:- Clinical Director Yorkshire Laser Centre.
- 1992 -1997:- Consultant Cardio-Thoracic Surgeon : Thoracic Endoscopy and Laser Service, Scunthorpe and Goole Hospitals Trust.
- Currently Clinical Director and Consultant Cardio-Thoracic Surgeon: Yorkshire Laser Centre - The UK Medical Laser Centre.
- Honorary Consultant in Cardio-Thoracic Surgery and Research: North Lincolnshire & Goole NHS Foundation Trust.
Professor Moghissi has also undertaken training for single joint experts according to Lord Woolfe's reforms for expert witnesses(1999) and is currently an expert witness on the legal hub.
Over the years he has been awarded many honours for his work. Briefly, a few of which would include:
- First Prize Winner of Wessex Regional Hospital Board Research Essay Competition Prize 1963
- Joint First Prize Winner of Wessex Regional Hospital Board Research Essay Competition Prize 1968
- British Medical Association Award For Scientific Exhibition 1974
- Honorary Membership of the Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons of India
- Honorary founding Membership of the International Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- Membre Associe Etranger Academie de Chirugie Paris 1979
- Corresponding Membership of the Society of Polish Surgeons
- Founding member and Past President of the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Award for Achievement in Cardio-Thoracic Surgery - awarded by The World Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery - see news article
During Professor Moghissi's distinguished career he has held many positions. Currently his main work involves:
- Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon (Private Practice)
- Clinical Director of the Yorkshire Laser Centre / UK Medical Laser Centre
- Editor in Chief of Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy
Professor Moghissi is well respected member of his profession, and as such is affiliated to, or is a member of the following:
- Registered with General Medical Council (0550347) on the GMC European specialist Register - Specialty : Thoracic Surgery
- Corresponding member of the British Cardiac Society
- Senior member of the British Thoracic Society
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- British Medical Laser Association: Executive Committee Member
- Member of Society of Authors (Medical Section)
- Editor in Chief: Photo Diagnosis and Photo Dynamic Therapy
- European Respiratory Society - Founding member and former Head of Thoracic Surgery Assembly
- Founding member of European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery: both past President and Member of the Council.
- Senior member for the International Society of Diseases of the Oesophagus
- Life Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine
- Member and Founder of the European Thoracic Surgical Club
- Former Associate Editor (in charge of Thoracic Section) European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Former Associate Editor of the Thoracic Surgery Section European Journal of Cardivascular Surgery
- Former Advisory Editor (Associate) European Respiratory Journal
- Member of the Editorial Board of International Trends in general Thoracic Surgery (book series)
- Former member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Yorkshire Cancer Research Campaign
- Former Member of the Lung Cancer group - Medical Research Council
- Former Member of the Oesophageal Cancer group - Medical Research Council (British)
- Member of the Reviewing Committee of Several other Scientific Journals
- Founder Member and President of the European Platform for Photo Dynamic Medicine (EPPM)
Professor Moghissi has followed many hobbies and interests which have helped throughout his professional and personal career. He is fluent in three languages ( English, French & Farsi), has a working knowledge of Italian and has some knowledge of Arabic and Latin. He has a great love of music. Having studied at the Geneva Conservatoire Populaire for 14 years he has obtained a Degree of Diplome de Capacite in violin. He also has a love of both writing and reading in subjects mainly connected to Art and Literature.